About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Don't Fence Me In

"There are three kinds of men.  The one who learns by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and see for themselves."  -------- Will Rogers

I have always taken pride in my ability to make decisions. Even when the decisions I have made weren’t quite right, I’ve managed to turn them into a learning experience (hate to waste anything). I mention this because I am at a point where I am facing yet another life altering choice. I have thought a lot about it, I have researched my options and I have decided to ignore my head, listen to my heart and as Will Rogers so eloquently said it “pee on the electric fence”. It may not be one of my wisest choices, but it’s mine, and maybe I’ll learn something.

The last few months I have felt a restlessness that can’t be avoided. I spent the evening at Santa Sara Ranch a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful night, the sun was setting, a fresh cool breeze was blowing, birds were singing and I was in my lawn chair enjoying an ice cold beer. “Life could not be any better” I thought to myself, then suddenly, I was moved to tears. The ranch of my dreams was so close and yet still seemed so far away. When I’m there, the restlessness fades away and is replaced by a quite calm that overwhelms me. Why am I putting off this pleasure??? Money? Stability? If I died tomorrow what good would those things do me? Besides who wants to be remembered at stable? Not me. I want to be remembered as a woman who followed her dreams and lived her life…without fences!

No comments:

Post a Comment