About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Barefoot In Bluegrass

“The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.”  ---  Henry Miller


Call me a dork, if you must, but every day when I head out to work I am drawn to the grass on the hill near my front door.  It calls to me...and I have a hard time resisting.   One day I'm tempted to listen to it's call to take of my shoes, strip off my clothes and roll in the cool, sweet, soft grass.  Although, shortly afterwards, I will probably be arrested and taken into custody for indecent exposure.  Oh, the price we pay for happiness!  

The grass here in Colorado takes me back to my childhood in Kansas.  It reminds me of rolling down hills at the park, running barefoot chasing fireflies at night, sitting on the porch eating homemade peach ice-cream and listening to the locust sing.  It reminds me of the summer when Grandma put a quilt over a clothesline to make a tent for me in the backyard, next to the garden, and eating ice-cycle radishes fresh from the earth. 

All of the sudden life seems so simple...we just make it hard.  Today I walked outside barefoot and sat on the hill, it was just as I imagined it would be "indescribably magnificent"!                                                  

* Note to self:  When I get to Santa Sara Ranch plant a patch of bluegrass and roll naked in the privacy of my own backyard where the risk of arrest is slim to none.  Gotta try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment