About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Come Sit With Me

"Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose"
 ---Kevin Arnold

"Come sit with me".  Four little words that make me happy and sad at the same time.  Four little words that Snow Angel would often say to me, and too often, I ignored while proceeding with my mindless tasks.  She was asking me to spend time with her, and looking back, I wished I would have listened more often.

Our time on this planet is extremely short and filled with so many distractions that it's easy to lose sight of what's really important.  Every day people are asking you to "come sit with me".   My advice...listen!  I know it's impossible to honor every request, all I'm asking is that you think first before responding.  What if this person were gone tomorrow?  Would it matter that the laundry wasn't done?  That there were dirty dishes in the sink? Or that the bathtub grout was a little dingy?  From personal experience, I can tell you "HELL NO!" 

That's the sad part....now for the happy : )

I remember, vividly, one request to "come sit with me".  We were in the hospital and Snow Angel was sitting in her bed watching TV while I was pacing around and packing things up for our trip home later that night.  I don't know whether she was sick of watching me rush around in a frenzy or simply wanted me to relax but I got the request..."come sit with me"...and this time I listened.  I sat down on the bed next to her as she held my hand, leaned her head against mine and kissed my cheek.  We sat there for a long time, quite, except for the sound of the television.  It's a memory that brings me so much comfort.  I only wish I would have done it more often.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, we should listen more to those little requests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is moving and true! I love reading your post, as I never got to know your Snow Angel, reading these post's I feel as if I did know her. Your a wonderful writer and a Great Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. My Snow Angel was an amazing person. You could ask anyone who knew her and hear the same thing...so it's not just the biased opinion of her best friend and mother.

    ReplyDelete