About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Monday, July 4, 2011

Touching A Soul

"Peoples dreams are made out of what they do all day.  The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits.  It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."  ---Barbara Kingsolver

I spent the last couple of days walking various trails near my house.  I had a three day weekend and decided that, unlike other weekends, I was not going to make any plans and just take it easy.  It's amazing the things you notice when you take the time to look.  I found this adorable baby rabbit curled up in a hole at the base of a tree.  He couldn't have been more than six inches long and blended almost perfectly with the dirt and dried grass.  What was truly amazing was how close he allowed me to get before running and hiding in the nearest prairie dog burrow.

Ever since I was a child I had fantasies of being like Snow White, and no, not because she lived in the woods with seven men.  Although.........sorry couldn't resist!  The fantasy came from the part where she was out it the woods singing, all the animals gathered around and a bird came down and landed on her finger.  I've always loved animals and, call me crazy,  I swear that we share a special bond.  Kind of an unspoken understanding of each other.  I, by no means, think that I am the only one who has this ability.  I believe that eveyone has it, but many either don't care to experience it, or are too busy to notice it.

I can give so many examples of why I believe this is true but this is the the most memorable...

I have a dog named Freckles that Snow Angel purchased shortly before she began her "New Life".    I wasn't too sure about her decision to buy a dog, we had so much going on in our lives, but I'm thankful every day that she did.  It was with Freckles that I had my first Snow White experience.  I was crying (one of those Snow Angel moments) and Freckles was sitting down by my feet.  She then stared up at me, as if she were looking into my soul, jumped up on the sofa and but her paw on my heart.  The whole time looking into my eyes and wagging her tail a 100 mph.  Freckles knew what I needed and she told me, through her actions, "I'm here with you, everything is going to be OK".

Maybe that's why the rabbit let me get so close, through my actions, I told him "I'm here with you, everything is going to be OK"....and it was.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear if any of you have experienced a "Snow White moment". If you have please share it in this comment section. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete