About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Friday, July 29, 2011

When You Least Expect It

"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." ----- Nathaniel Hawthorne

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Happiness shouldn't be this much work!   I've noticed, however, that just when I'm ready to give up the pursuit...it always seems to find me and brings some fantastic friends along with it. 

It has been exactly eight months since I arrived in Colorado and I've made some wonderful discoveries and  friends.  All of which I did not set out to make but, more or less, fell into my lap.   My riding instructor for one...she's an incredible teacher, a wonderful listener and so much fun to be around.  Whenever I visit her ranch I never feel like an outsider and I always feel welcome.  I know, I know...I pay her...but I think we'd be friends even if I weren't.  (I can hear her laughing as she reads this!)  My belly dance teacher is another, she's very supportive and always encouraging, even though I know I have a long way to go before what I'm doing looks even remotely sexy.  (OK, I know, I pay her too!)  I really do have friends here that I don't pay (and still like me) but I prefer to keep them to myself.  My point is, not one of these people did I set out to make my friend.  It just happened and it's been amazing.  Happiness isn't a lot of work...it comes in the form of friends, and it happens when you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment