About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Life Imagined

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."  --- Henry David Thoreau

For almost 2 weeks now I have been reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau.  I know, I know...it shouldn't take that long to read a book...let's just say..."I've been busy and I'm savoring it!"  It has been a little hard to read (the old timey language is difficult to follow sometimes) but I've found myself marking pages that hold particular meaning for me.  I feel like Thoreau and I are kindred spirits.  Both of us long for a quite place to call our own and to observe the world around us.  The chapter titles even excite me a little and set my mind wandering.  Where I Lived, and What I Lived For, Sounds, Solitude, House Warming and Higher Laws.  He wouldn't have even needed to write anything in those chapters, and I would have known exactly what was meant to be there. 

I think this book has inspired me to move ahead with the plan for my Walden.  I've started to look for small cabins and garden sheds that can be turned into a very modest home.  One day, I may have my dream home there but, for now, I can't wait for one day to come.  Each day that I wait, is a day that I'm sacrificing my happiness for someone else's.  I also find that I really enjoy a challenge...and want to prove all those that say
"it's not possible or wise" wrong.  A little bit of that pioneer spirit is coming out in me again.  Plus, if nothing else, it will make for wildly entertaining blog posts!

"Do not lose hold of your dreams or aspirations. For if you do, you may still exist but you have ceased to live."  --- Henry David Thoreau

"Our life is frittered away by detail ... simplify, simplify." --- Henry David Thoreau

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."  -- Henry David Thoreau

"Live the life you've dreamed." --- Henry David Thoreau

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." --- Henry David Thoreau

LAST ONE, I PROMISE.

"You know about a person who deeply interests you more than you can be told. A look, a gesture, an act, which to everybody else is insignificant tells you more about that one than words can." --- Henry David Thoreau

LOVE THAT ONE!                                     

HOPE you all find at least one that speaks to you.

6 comments:

  1. Please...I love feedback and comments. Love to know what your dreams are AND your plans to make them come true. I'll hold you to it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Thoreau thought. I love all the quotes, they speak to me too. My dream...to wake up every morning, sit on my porch of my modest home, with a my cup of coffee, overlooking the picturesque view of the variety of animals/pets in the fields, listening to the sounds of nature; being able to make a living doing something that I absolutely enjoy while giving back to others; knowing I raised my son to be he can be, and to be blissfully happy with every aspect of my life.
    Please hold me to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, holding you to it! Now...what's step one? (didn't expect that did you?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Step 1: Get my son graduated...So I have 3 years until step 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to blog something , we are waiting mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...This last year has been filled with lots of material but my sense of direction is a little thrown off. Not quite sure where to go from here...

      Delete