About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Channeling My Inner John Wayne

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." --- John Wayne

This is one of my favorite quotes.  I even have a refrigerator magnet that says it.  Of course, I also have one that says "Does this saddle make my ass look fat". So, for me, pretty much all the answers to life's problems can be found on my fridge. 

This weekend mild panic began to set in.  Things that I had been hoping and praying for have finally started to happen.  Friday evening I was offered a job in Cheyenne and couldn't have been more excited.  Saturday and Sunday evening, however, were a different story.  Things always start to worry me in the evening, most likely, because I have a tendency to think too much when I don't have distractions to stop me.  

A conversation, on Sunday evening, with a friend (she a mixture of John Wayne & the Dalai Lama) eased my mind, set me straight, and gave me the confidence to say "I can do this!"  She asked a very good question that redirected my thinking.  "This is something you asked for, right?"  It was...a new beginning in Cheyenne, Santa Sara Ranch, a job that made me happy, and with people I enjoyed being around...these were all things that I had asked for.  The Dalai Lama in her called it Karma and said I had been given a gift.  She was right.  Then the John Wayne in her appeared and said..."A man's got to do what a man's got to do."  Not exactly in those words, but I think that was the gist of it.

That conversation was the spiritual kick in the ass I needed.  I woke up on Monday morning, read my refrigerator magnets, and was ready to take on all that life had to offer me.  Went and got four new tires and an oil change for my commute, looked at homes to place on the ranch, completed several applications for financing a new home (OK, this one still kind of scares me) and finally, drove by my new office to remember why I chose it in the first place.

I think next time I start to panic, I'll channel my inner John Wayne, put on my cowboy boots and hat, and say out loud..."I AM THE STUFF THAT MEN ARE MADE OF".

No comments:

Post a Comment