About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Creative Juices


"Cooking is like making love, you do it well, or you don't do it at all."---Harriet Van Horne

WOW,  it has been a busy past couple of months...but I am very proud of what I (with help from my amazing family and friends) have accomplished.  At the end of August I finally completed the cookbook I started over a year ago.  It's actually a blessing that I didn't get it done as planned, for Christmas 2011, because so much has changed since then and so did the focus of the cookbook.  Santa Sara Ranch Family & Friends Cookbook isn't "all about me", as the previous one was planned to be...all my recipes, all my design, and all my credit for it's success.  If I've learned anything in the last year, it's that I can't do it all myself anymore...nor do I want to. 

I asked for help on this one, which is still hard for me to do, (A stubborn "I'll show you" streak wasn't quite knocked out of me.) but I did it because I had a deadline and I feared I wouldn't be able to make on my own.  I was right too!  There were three of us working on it, 36 recipe contributors, and quite a few early mornings and late nights to complete the last minute details.  WE did it, WE made the deadline and I'm so proud of how it turned out.  I also learned a few things and got some ideas for a "Volume II".  "Hey, Julia? Nan?...where are you going?"  LOL

I am also very pleased with the success I've seen with the cookbook so far.  I've only had the books on hand for 1 week and have already sold 116!   I ordered 200, praying that I wouldn't be stuck with 150 unsold books, and now I'm thinking I may have to reorder before the holidays :)  I can't thank you all enough!

The whole purpose of the cookbook (and everything I've done for the last six years) is to make good on two promises I made to Sara when I said my "goodbye".

#1)  I'll never let anyone forget you AND if they didn't know you, they will, by the time I'm done with them.

#2)  You will have a ranch in Wyoming!

Those promises are in the cookbook, along with her picture, her story, and the story of the ranch. 
You will all know her. 

Something that isn't in there, but I have to share, is that Sara greatly appreciated "fine dining".  (Hence the occasional gourmet recipe).  Her favorite restaurant was where we used to live, in St. Augustine, FL.  
Le Pavillion was a charming little restaurant that served French and Bavarian food that was delicious.  We always felt so elegant when we went there and ordered things like Duck Breast, Seafood Crepes, Veal Francais, Trout Almondine, Chocolate Mousse, Creme de Minth Parfaits and one of our favorites, Oysters Rockefeller.  She always wanted to take me there when she would get her check and "throw down mad cash", as she would say, on an awesome dinner.

So at least two of the recipes in the cookbook are reminiscent of Le Pavillion.  She would be so pleased :)



***To order cookbooks you can contact me at WyoCowgirl66@yahoo.com  The cost is $15.00 each, plus $3.00 shipping for the first book, $1.25 for each additional book.  Payments can be made via Paypal, check or money order. 


2 comments:

  1. I up for another cook book.....I guess. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get this one sold first :)
    I will get the next one started much sooner next time so there's no last minute panic :)

    ReplyDelete