About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Veterans Day Thank You


"In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." ---Jose Narosky
"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." ---Cynthia Ozick

Tonight I'm snuggled safe in my bed making plans for my three day weekend...and I get to thinking about why I'm off on Monday...Veterans Day.  To be honest, unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas, I don't really think much about the meaning behind the holiday...I'm just happy to have a day off work.  Tonight's a little different.

I believe what made me stop to think about it was a question I've been asked a couple of times in the last few months.  I've had customers at work ask if I was a veteran (because of my missing arm).  What amazed me, when they asked, was I felt honored that they would think that I was a veteran (and that they thought I could have actually made it through boot camp, lol). 

I can't really imagine what it would have been like to have served.  The only thing I could compare the feeling to is that of an extremely loving, protective, and proud parent. 

There is one person I would have layed my life down to protect, my daughter.
To the veteran that is their country.

She may not have always showed me respect...but I loved and protected her anyway.
A veteran does this every day...protect a country that often turns it's back on them.

My only wish was that she grew up to be an amazing woman that I could be proud to call my own.
The veterans wish is to return home to the country that makes him proud to have served.

They deserve our respect, admiration, and thanks for protecting all of us, our families, and all we hold dear.

"Thank you"










No comments:

Post a Comment