About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Early Mornin'

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."---John Burroughs

You know the Benjamin Franklin quote "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise"?  I really think there is some truth to that, although, so far the "wealthy" has eluded me. 

I've been a morning person for a couple of years now.  It started shortly after moving to Colorado and was caused, I believe, by both the dogs still being on Florida time.  Before sunrise, every day, the two of them would start moving around on the bed, whining, licking me, and Freckles would do her usual...sneeze and spray of dog snot in the face. "Alright, I'm up!" 

I was never one to sleep late...but 4:00 AM seemed a little too early to be awake.  At first I grumbled about it.  Going back to sleep was not an option, I would just have a harder time waking up when the alarm went off.  After several months, however, I noticed I was grumbling less and really began to enjoy my early morning rituals.  Snot in the face, "Alright, I'm up!", let the dogs out, make coffee, and all of us back in the bedroom (me with my coffee and laptop...them back to sleep next to me).  I would open the curtains and watch the sunrise while I worked.  I had a patio in my Greeley apartment but the street noise disturbed the morning peace (something I began to love about the early mornings) so I rarely used it.

I'd use this early morning time to catch up on emails, research ranch ideas, work on "social networking" and write my blog posts.  My head is clearest in the morning.  I always wake up each day more hopeful than I was the night before.  It's as if each morning is a fresh start...all the negativity, stresses, bad attitudes, and worries that were piled on fom the previous day are wiped away and I'm left with a clean slate on which to write today's story.
.
I look forward to the day when I spend this time on my patio at the ranch.  Watching the sunrise, photographing the wildlife (pronghorn, mule deer, jack rabbit, coyote, hawk, and various birds all reside out there), listening to the sounds of the local cattle, and have fresh clean air to clear my head of any cares.  I'm not there yet...and already...I don't want to leave.  It may be quite a while, I'm afraid, before I'll be able to enjoy (full time) my mornings at the ranch. I'm confident, however, I'll find this early morning peace somewhere...and as long as I do...I will wake up each day hopeful.



Started writing this post at 3AM this morning. LOVE Early Mornin'



No comments:

Post a Comment